We are currently seeking a motivated, career and customer service oriented Systems Engineer/Mainframe Operations to join our team in Springfield, VA to begin an exciting and challenging career with Unisys Federal Systems.
1. Engineer, install, maintain and customize IBM z-series or later processors running the z/OS operating system in a Parallel Systems Complex (Sysplex) environment to support 24x7x365 availability. Expert knowledge is required for core z/OS functions, mainframe network products, and related subsystems.
2. Provide configuration, implementation and maintenance support for z/OS-related ISV products and apply latest maintenance concurrent with the z/OS bi-monthly maintenance cycle. Support required for, but not limited to, the following products: CA-Top Secret, CAOPS/MVS, CA-MIM, CA-1, CA-7, CA-11, CA-Dispatch, CA-Sysview, CA-ROSCOE, CA-Auditor, Content Manager, ASG-TMON, JES2, Syncsort, FDR products, Hitachi Business Continuity Manager, TREX, VPS, Phoenix, Dimensions, VTAM, TCPIP, Netview, Pagent, TPX, Zen Exigence, Implex and FTPAlert, TN3270, VPS Anyqueue, etc.
3. Create and maintain an up-to-date mainframe knowledge base to include Mainframe Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), infrastructure logical and physical diagrams, system configuration baselines, implementation plans, back-out plans, system recovery plans, maintenance plans, system upgrades, off hours callout and escalation procedures, and a record of all system changes.
4. Provide technical support for the upgrade, installation, configuration, implementation, and maintenance of the CICS transaction processing systems.
5. Provide 24x7x365 integration support for all Mainframe components (including networking) and supported applications interfaces, including but not limited to MQ/DataPower support products (commercial-off-the-shelf and proprietary), networking technology, and storage management.
6. Respond to incidents according to the government approved Incident Response Plan developed as part of the EOC Task.
7. Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge across key tasks and high impact assignments. Plans and leads major technology assignments. Evaluates performance results and recommends major changes affecting short-term project growth and success. Functions as a technical expert across multiple project assignments. May supervise others.
a) Serves as Systems Engineer, possessing in-depth knowledge of a particular area, such as business, computer science, engineering, mathematics, or the various sciences.
(b) Provides technical knowledge and analysis of highly specialized applications and operational environments, high- level functional systems analysis, design, integration, documentation and implementation advice on exceptionally complex problems that need extensive knowledge of the subject matter for effective implementation.
(c) Participates as needed in all phases of software development with emphasis on the planning, analysis, testing, integration, documentation, and presentation phases. Applies principles, methods and knowledge of the functional area of capability to specific task order requirements, advanced mathematical principles and methods to exceptionally difficult and narrowly defined technical problems in engineering and other scientific applications to arrive at automated solutions.
(d) Provides analysis related to the design, development, and integration of hardware, software, man-machine interfaces and all system level requirements to provide an integrated IT solution.
(e) Develops integrated system test requirements, strategies, devices and systems
(f) Directs overall system level testing.
Bachelors and 7 years of recent experience supporting engineering, installation, configuration, and maintenance of multiple platforms including z/900 and open systems platforms on 24x7x365 availability.
- 5 years of experience working on high visibility or mission critical aspects of a infrastructure operations programs, capable of performing all functional duties independently.
- 5 years’ experience with computer operating system for IBM's zSeries 900 (z900) line of mainframes.
- 4 Years’ experience with at least four of the following:
o MVS- Multiple Virtual Storage is an operating system from IBM that is the predecessor to z/OS.
o JES2- Job Entry Subsystem - component of MVS that provides the necessary functions to get jobs into, and output out of, the MVS system. It is designed to provide efficient spooling, scheduling, and management facilities for the MVS operating system.
o SMP/E- System Modification Program/Extended is a tool designed to manage the installation of software products on z/OS system and to track the modifications" to those products.
o TSO- Time Sharing Option is an interactive time-sharing environment for IBM mainframe operating systems, including OS/360 MVT, OS/VS2 (SVS), MVS, OS/390, and z/OS.
o ISPF- Interactive System Productivity Facility is a software product for the z/OS operating system that runs on IBM mainframes.
o VTAM- Virtual Telecommunications Access Method (VTAM) is the IBM subsystem that implements Systems Network Architecture (SNA) for mainframe environments. VTAM provides an application programming interface (API) for communication applications, and controls communication equipment such as adapters and controllers.
o TCP/IP- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, is a suite of communication protocols used to interconnect network devices on the internet. TCP/IP can also be used as a communications protocol in private network.
o SFTP- Secure File Transfer Protocol is a commonly used method of securely transferring files between two remote systems.
o JCL- Job Control Language is used to convey information to the IBM z/OS operating system such as where to find input, how to process the data and what to do with any output produced.
o LPARs- Logical partitions (LPARs) is the division of a computer's processors, memory and storage into multiple sets of resources so each set of resources can be operated independently with its own operating system instance and applications.
o RACF- Resource Access Control Facility is an add-on software product that provides basic security for a mainframe system and provides the tools to manage user access to the system’s critical resources.
o IBM Utilities- System defined utilities invoked via JCL used to manage (sort, copy, delete, catalog, etc.) files.
CICS Customer Information Control System is a general-purpose online transaction processing subsystem for the z/OS operating system.
Datacom/DB Computer Associates owned relational database management system for mainframe computers.
WebSphere MQ IBM standard for program-to-program messaging across multiple (mainframe/server) platforms.
Do you have what it takes to be mission critical?
Your skills and experience could be mission critical for our Unisys team supporting the Federal Government in their mission to protect and defend our nation, and transform the way government agencies manage information and improve responsiveness to their customers. As a member of our diverse team, you’ll gain valuable career-enhancing experience as we support the design, development, testing, implementation, training, and maintenance of our federal government’s critical systems.
Apply today to become mission critical and help our nation meet the growing need for IT security, improved infrastructure, big data, and advanced analytics.
Unisys is a global information technology company that solves complex IT challenges at the intersection of modern and mission critical. We work with many of the world's largest companies and government organizations to secure and keep their mission-critical operations running at peak performance; streamline and transform their data centers; enhance support to their end users and constituents; and modernize their enterprise applications. We do this while protecting and building on their legacy IT investments. Our offerings include outsourcing and managed services, systems integration and consulting services, high-end server technology, cybersecurity and cloud management software, and maintenance and support services. Unisys has more than 23,000 employees serving clients around the world.
Unisys offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, a 401k with an immediately vested company match, vacation and educational benefits. To learn more about Unisys visit us at www.Unisys.com.
Unisys is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - Minorities, Females, Disabled Persons, and Veterans.