Unisys Corporation at the NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC) in Hampton, VA is seeking a hands-on Simulation Systems Engineer with an Electro-Mechanical Engineering background to join our team. The Simulation and Aircraft Services (SAS) contract provides full life cycle flight simulation software and hardware services and flight simulation infrastructure engineering services for LaRC ground-based and flight research systems and facilities. Hardware services include engineering, operations, and maintenance of the simulation hardware and software infrastructure. Infrastructure engineering services include modification of existing infrastructure, design and implementation of new infrastructure, and support for simulation operations and maintenance activities.
The Flight Simulation Facilities (FSF) are comprised of computing systems including the Real-Time Computer Systems, a six-degree-of-freedom motion base, four full-sized simulator cockpits, and a multi-purpose re-configurable test and evaluation simulator. The FSF also include Systems Integration and Laboratories.
• Design, implementation, modification, operation, and maintenance of fixed based and motion base simulators and support equipment.
• Oversee Readiness Procedures, Preventive Maintenance, and Corrective Maintenance on simulator devices.
• Direct simulator hardware reconfiguration and/or modification.
• Diagnose, troubleshoot, modify and repair electromechanical, video, audio, and/or network systems using maintenance publications and wiring diagrams.
• Work with technicians, employ use of complex electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes, digital multi-meter, fiber optic test equipment, temperature probes, computer based troubleshooting systems, power meters, CAT5 and CAT6 network cabling testing. Experience with electronics, avionics, mechanics, hydraulic systems, or electronic fabrication is desired, but not required.
• Troubleshoot and replace complex electronics components such as analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog circuit modules, VMEbus Data Acquisition systems, and Fiber Optics systems.
• Troubleshoot and update Linux and Windows based operating systems during replacement and/or re-configuration of simulation computers and network systems.
• Develop lighting designs.
• Develop panel layout and designs.
• Integrate Hardware-in-the-loop real-time simulation components and systems.
• Model and apply engineering methods and techniques to the design, development, integration, qualification and/or support of the simulator systems.
• Effectively describes hardware, software, and simulator subsystems problems to management.
• Oversee records of all maintenance and operations activities, and reports on them.
• Support operations, maintenance, and training operations during weekends and off-shift hours when required.
• Prepare documentation or provide inputs for creating documentation as required.
• Develop quality components and ensure that created module meets all performance, quality, reliability and functional requirements by analyzing and troubleshooting issues.
• A CANDIDATE MUST BE EITHER A U.S. CITIZEN OR PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN.
• No security clearance required.
• A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, preferably in mechanical engineering or electrical engineering from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Minimum of 3 years of hands-on AutoCAD, PRO-E or other similar Design/Drafting experience.
• Be able to design, implement, modify, operate, and maintain real-time simulators, simulation systems and support equipment.
• Experience in conducting non-standard electronics tests, constructing breadboards, performing modifications to simulation systems, compiling/processing engineering test data, and performing complex operations and preventive maintenance procedures.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
• Strong team building skills required.
• Knowledge of embedded real-time system operations and configurations required.
• Master of Science in engineering.
• Electro-Mechanical Engineering background desired.
• Experience with Image Generator (IG) technologies desired.
• Knowledge of Common Image Generator Interface (CIGI) desired.
• Experience with video switching support hardware desired.
• Experience with process improvement techniques and application.
Do you have what it takes to be mission critical?
Your skills and experience could be mission critical for our Unisys team supporting the Federal Government in their mission to protect and defend our nation, and transform the way government agencies manage information and improve responsiveness to their customers. As a member of our diverse team, you’ll gain valuable career-enhancing experience as we support the design, development, testing, implementation, training, and maintenance of our federal government’s critical systems.
Apply today to become mission critical and help our nation meet the growing need for IT security, improved infrastructure, big data, and advanced analytics.
Unisys is a global information technology company that solves complex IT challenges at the intersection of modern and mission critical. We work with many of the world's largest companies and government organizations to secure and keep their mission-critical operations running at peak performance; streamline and transform their data centers; enhance support to their end users and constituents; and modernize their enterprise applications. We do this while protecting and building on their legacy IT investments. Our offerings include outsourcing and managed services, systems integration and consulting services, high-end server technology, cybersecurity and cloud management software, and maintenance and support services. Unisys has more than 23,000 employees serving clients around the world.
Unisys offers a very competitive benefits package including health insurance coverage from first day of employment, a 401k with an immediately vested company match, vacation and educational benefits. To learn more about Unisys visit us at www.Unisys.com.
Unisys is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) - Minorities, Females, Disabled Persons, and Veterans.